Re: Third party JavaScript parts + skinning

On Feb 14, 2011, at 08:19 , Deryck Hodge wrote:
[snip]

> Also, Brad and I chatted and talked at least a couple times during his
> development of this widget, so it's not as if he made his choice
> without input.  I don't recall my specific advice, but I'm sure what I
> said would have pointed to our current rules for where to put js code:
>
> * YUI dependencies live in lazr-js
> * New widgets should be developed in Launchpad first, then pulled back
> to lazr-js when wider value is obvious.
> * Gallery code is unique and we have to deal with it on a case by case
> basis until we have a combo loader/Canonical CDN
>
> So I think he made a good call here.  He got some work done he needed
> to do.  He did it in a way that allows us to transition easily to
> lazr-js if this widget works out.  He also went a step further and did
> it in such a way that helps us pull the other modules like this out of
> icing and into a sane location, where that code can then be assessed
> for inclusion for lazr-js.
>
> I support what Brad has done and think over-thinking it at this point
> is premature.

Thanks to everyone for the wide-ranging discussion which will need to continue.  I'm moving forward with my original proposal which may not be perfect but is incrementally better than dropping it in c/lp/icing where similar code now resides.  As noted, this solution may be short-lived depending upon what we agree to do with lazr-js and the usefulness of the widget I'm adding.

I'll report back when I've had a chance to modify the skinning as suggested by Francis.

--Brad