Re: mhonarc archive latency - lets order list archives in ascending rather than descending date (for now)

On 30 November 2011 18:20, Robert Collins <robertc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 2:58 AM, Matthew Revell
> <matthew.revell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> I propose that the UI impact of messages appearing very slowly is
>>> worse than the UI impact of messages being in oldest-first order.
>>
>> I agree that it could be a worthwhile trade-off, while we're waiting
>> for a better fix.
>>
>> An idea that might mitigate this: automatically jump to the last page,
>> reverse the page number ordering, and swap the "Next" and "Previous"
>> links. That way, be default the first thing you see is the page
>> containing the most recent messages and you're set-up to go back in
>> time.
>
> Indeed, that might mitigate the downsides - but I'm not sure we need
> to do that at all. (and doing it isn't simple because we don't know
> where the last page is).

Oh, I assumed we knew because Mhonarc seems to know how many emails
there are and it puts the same number on each page. Clearly that most
recent page may not have the full number but that's something we can
work around isn't it?

Either way, it seems to me that putting the oldest emails first but
not providing a simple "Jump to newest" type of link would make the
archive experience pretty cumbersome.

> One other thing I just noticed is we have no monthly batches, which is
> another way of curtailing the overheads. So we're actually
> recalculating all messages ever, at the moment. Bringing in the
> 'stock' 'list of months' page will itself dramatically improve things
> (most lists won't have > 150 or whatever the count per page is
> messages per month).

If we can solve the whole thing with batching, then even better :)

--
Matthew Revell
Launchpad Product Manager

https://launchpad.net/~matthew.revell