Re: Bug listings: offering the option of a single line or multi-line view

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 9:07 AM, Matthew Revell
<matthew.revell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2 December 2011 09:27, Gavin Panella <gavin.panella@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 2 December 2011 05:45, Huw Wilkins <huw.wilkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> [...]
>>> I've attached a mockup of what it might look like if the fields are
>>> sitting horizontally. I think this will really only work if you have the
>>> right combination of very wide monitor and/or not too many extra fields
>>> otherwise you will have fields wrap on to the second line anyway.
>>
>> Is it feasible to set the bug title overflow:hidden, but
>> overflow:visible on hover?
>
> Thanks for the suggestion but I think truncating bug titles would make
> the bug listings harder to work with; we'd be introducing a UX
> regression for people who work with lots of bugs every day.
>
> Pretty much every other bug tracker I've seen wraps long bug titles;
> I'm not sure we can avoid that. What I think we need to do is look at
> how we minimise the need for bugs to spill onto more than one line.

To help with the decision if we should wrap long bug titles or not
(and where the wrap point should be), here's some data from our
current bug database on staging.
https://pastebin.canonical.com/56840/. It shows the bug title length
and aggregates the number of bugs with that len. By glancing over it,
one can see the majority of our bugs is under 66 characters.

Maybe we could wrap over at some point under the 66 characters limit
and truncate if the bug has a massive bug title, which would wrap to
more than two lines and look very ugly.

Hope this helps,

Diogo M. Matsubara