Re: New project: BleachBit

2009/8/10 Andrew Ziem <ahz001@xxxxxxxxx>:

> I am "open" to changing in the near future :) , but first I would like
> to take some time to see how the teams work and to notify my existing
> translators.
>
> How much does the QA process delay the translations?

It depends on the team, but if they are kept up to date with things
like "string freeze" or announcement of imminent release, that can
only benefit them.

> Lately I release the application about every two weeks.  I see the
> link you suggested reads, "When you are due to release a new version
> of your project, contact the team and let them know when you would
> like to release: in this way translators can better organize their
> work. It is good to advise them at least two weeks before a release."
>  I try to have my strings complete a week ahead.  So I should post a
> quick email to this mailing list with the release date?  The list of
> subscribers[1] seems short (approximately one subscriber per
> language).

That's one of the "cons" I was referring with structuring the
translations. Don't take me wrong: a structured policy is the best
policy to have the very best translations for a project (that means
that teams with translations guidelines and all that jazz will
translate your project, and only approved team members can translate,
all the other people can only leave suggestions), the problem is that
the Launchpad Translators group is not a big group yet.

> Do individual translators choose their favorite projects?  Or do
> language teams coordinate to ensure all projects get attention?

If you leave the translation as "open", then individual translators
will find your project and start translating it. That doesn't mean
that the same translator will keep translating: there could be people
passing by and start translating, also modifying others translations
(and in most cases this is not good). With a "structured" policy,
teams are in charge and it's up to them to coordinate internally and
to let translators know about the projects.

--
Milo Casagrande <milo@xxxxxxxxxx>