Re: Correction and control

Yaron Shahrabani

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 1:05 PM, Adi Roiban <adi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-05-31 at 12:33 +0300, Yaron Shahrabani wrote:
> > I really like where this discussion is going
> >
> > Adi, do you think its feasible?
> You are using top posting and I don't know what are you actually asking.
> Can you please expand the above question?

Adding tags and saving them as comments like I proposed earlier...

> > This feature should use the comments so the po files that return to
> > the upstream will include the comments
>
> > The problem is that some of the bad suggestions enter the TM and some
> > unexperienced users might use these suggestions, marking and
> > commenting may help avoid this issue
>
> >From what I understood this topic is about helping new translators not
> making the same errors over and over again.
>
> >From my point of view, having "bad" suggestions in the translation
> memory is a different issue and they can be also generated by
> experienced translators (Errare humanum est perseverare autem
> diabolicum). If you want to discuss this problem, I think it is better
> to start a new thread.
>
> Regarding commenting and tagging of translations, transforming Launchpad
> Translations in a discussion board/forum is not feasible.

> It would be nice to allow translators to edit the Gettext POFile
> comments for their translations.

Editing is not enough, this feature should be expanded to include the
address to the user's launchpad page and his comment like this
@oldterm1 Mistaek
@user1 Adi (Commenter's name or launchpad address)
@comment1 This is what's wrong... (typo in this case)

> One think that maybe we can improve to mitigate suggesting the same bad
> suggestion over and over again, is to signal/tag a suggestion as being
> dismissed by someone in some date.
>
> Just like we can see that the current translations was done by X in May
> and reviewed by Y in June, we could see that a translations was done by
> Z in May and dimissed by W in June.

That's the problem, after I spot an error and replace it nobody knows why
did I change it

> > About composing a document that apply to all translators this is
> > non-realistic since the translators use other systems and believe in
> > different approaches and most of them don't want to unite into a
> > translators community (although we keep on trying and won't give up)
>
> Then just create that document with comment error for Launchpad
> Translators rules/guidelines.

You'll have to trust me on this, nobody cares...
Ubuntu translators are monitored but all the others just don't pay
attention, its related to the Israeli mentality and I don't think I have
enough resources to fight it

> Like I said, I find those "common errors" a good way to learn from
> examples and I think they should be included in all guidelines.

They are, nobody is looking at it like I said...

When you come to volunteer you don't want any bosses around, and although
there are rules and guidelines most translators prefer to trust their
personal knowledge and ignore all warnings

> > Do you want me to add parts of our discussion to the bug report?
>
> Feel free to add what do you think could be useful for solving that bug.
> Just keep in mind that Launchpad Translations should be simple to use
> and that each problem should be handled in a different bug.

I see, do you support the usage of comments for this mission?
Do you support using tags in the comments?