RE: Translations waiting approval

Kenneth Nielsen wrote:
> > And the maintainer may have better priorities than fixing those strings
in
> > their sources. Keep them with the freedom of understanding their own
program
> > and maintaining it cleanly.
> But development is not just about coding, proper GUI-polishing is just as
much
> a part of that development-process.

I did not speak about GUI polishing. But the quality of translations has
nothing to do with GUI polishing. A GUI can be very clean and cute in one
language and perfectly localizable to US English without requiring the root
language to be US English.

Translation requires very different skills from programming and from
designing a GUI. They are best done by different people, that also prefer
working in their own choice of languages. The fact that most developers can
read English (because it is needed to understand many API documentation), is
not defining a required skill in being able to write correctly in this
language. If those developers can't write correctly in US English, this does
not remove anything to their merit because this is not what we are asking to
them.

Yes they will certainly team with others to provide better translations, but
for their everyday job, this will complicate their task or create confusion
in their own work on the code if they have to master a terminology and
syntax they are not at ease to work with.

What you want here, is to require that all open-source developers become
excellent translators of US English. You are requiring skills that are not
related to what we demand to excellent developers. There are many excellent
translators that are very poor coders. Excellent programmers with excellent
knowledge in aparticular domain of programming are rare and precious; we
must certainly not insult them, or they will stop cooperating to the
free/open-source projects and will return to their better paid activities
that will give them much less troubles than discussing with insulting people
that don't respect them...