Re: Permissions for changing status of a ticket?

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 2:28 PM, Andreas Jung <lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > It's an unfortunate consequence of hosting bugs openly. In Launchpad we
> > try to strike the right balance between making it easy for people to use
> > and modify bugs and keeping the crackpots out, and in this case, it
> > seems like the crackpot won. Can you tell me privately what user it was
> > so I can contact him and follow up? Usually just following up with the
> > end-user resolves the issue.
>
>  I don't see why hosting bugs openly conflicts with the requirement exposing
> the option to change the workflow state only to the core team as part of
> bugtracker specfic configuration.

I can see two interactions:

One is that if you leave the options open, people who would otherwise
be unauthorized will make positive changes as well as negative ones.
I commonly set the status of bugs that are affecting me in projects I
don't otherwise participate in, and I would hope those are positive
changes.  Of course the people who cause trouble are the most obvious.

Also, as Kiko says, Launchpad has to balance letting people and
projects set things the way they want vs having different projects be
consistent.  My feeling would be that making this particular field
readonly for some projects would not be confusing.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>