Re: Mailing list time

On 19/04/2008, Barry Warsaw <barry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Apr 18, 2008, at 3:12 PM, Vid Ayer wrote:
>  > On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 7:26 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  > wrote:
>  >>> Hmm... by member do you mean each individual *must* have an LP
>  >>> account
>  >>> and must join (say) TeamA on LP and *only* then they will be allowed
>  >>> to use TeamA's mailing list? If yes, then I see a lot of potential
>  >>> trouble explaining and implementing this.
>  >>>
>  >>
>  >> This is true for Launchpad mailing lists currently.
>  >
>  > Is it possible to migrate existing subscribers to the LP lists without
>  > them having to jump hoops -- register and get an LP account and then
>  > join the team just so that they can post to the mailing list. Most
>  > people may not want to jump hoops. Has that been considered ?
>

> It has, but for now, we're not going to do this.  We want to take
>  advantages of the additional information and collaborative aspects of
>  Launchpad to improve the mailing list experience, so Launchpad
>  membership is a necessary requirement.  We will be able to import
>  archives for those existing lists that want to move to Launchpad though.

I'm not sure what you mean by some of this, but requiring a launchpad
account would mean that upstreams won't/can't use lp for mailing list
hosting.

We would never expect our users to sign up to launchpad to join our
foo-users list, for example.

> What I meant was that open source projects on Launchpad can always run
>  their own mailing lists using their own resources.  For those open
>  source projects that don't have the resources, or just don't want the
>  headaches, they can request and use a Launchpad mailing list.  This is
>  no different than a project using Launchpad's bug tracker instead of
>  running their own, Launchpad's code hosting instead of running their
>  own, etc.

Well currently it looks like sourceforge mailing lists still have a
clear advantage.

Caroline