Re: to follow up on #42139

Daniel Hollocher wrote on 20/08/08 06:23:

> I started a project on launchpad, and I'm pretty sure that I'm
> subscribed to bugs by default.  Additionally, since its just me on the
> project, I have no need for these features.
>
> It sounds like that the Answers section is a feature designed for large
> projects.  It would nice to be able to turn it off for smaller projects,
> and have it off as the default for new projects.  That way, once the
> maintainer figures out who that person wants to be a question answerer,
> Answers can be turned back on.  Thats just me.

You can turn off Answers from your project page by choosing "Change
details", then unchecking "People can ask questions in Launchpad Answers".

Did you notice this before? (Probably that checkbox should be on the
Answers page instead.)

> On a larger note, there are a growing number of support options out
> there, and its confusing which ones to use, and when.  There are
> mailing lists, IRC, the launchpad answers section, google,
> ubuntu.forums, the wiki, and I know some guys who are coding up a new
> support tool.
>
> I also used to use a site, ubuntuguide.org <http://ubuntuguide.org>,
> which is possibly being cannibalized by the wiki.
>
> I personally find all these options confusing, and I hope that a wider
> discussion takes place in the future, that takes all these into account.

Different people prefer to get help in different ways at different
times. Some people may want an answer to a simple question really
quickly, and be comfortable using IRC for this. Some people may be happy
using a Web forum, accepting that their question will be public forever
and that they may not receive an answer. And many people have learned
not to bother with software's built-in help, and instead ask their
friends or Google whenever they have a problem.

So multiple sources of help is not a problem, *except* when people are
forced into making an uninformed choice between them. For example,
Ubuntu 6.10 had a "Help" submenu with five items. This was awkward
because people had to choose between these items without any clue as to
which would solve their problem. Now, Ubuntu has a single "Help and
support" menu item. The Ubuntu Documentation Team continues to work on
incorporating redundant sources of static help into the main help site,
while the help front page does a better job of explaining alternative
sources of interactive support. The same approach can be adopted by any
software project.

Cheers
- --
Matthew Paul Thomas