Re: "Abuse" of Contact User feature

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 11:04 AM, Christian Robottom Reis
<kiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> There's definitely a valid use case in providing a way to contact a team
> -- for teams that have no contact email addresses (the majority, btw:

I don't think the fact that lots of teams don't have a contact email
address is in fact a justification for providing a feature for users
to contact all members of a team.

Personally, I think that if a team doesn't have a mailing list or
contact address set up, then the user who wishes to contact that team
should be permitted to contact the team administrators, but not the
whole team. A team might easily choose not to have a contact address
on purpose, because they don't want people to contact all team members
in this way.

Take for example the ubuntumembers group
(https://launchpad.net/~ubuntumembers). That team has 448 members, and
no contact address. I think it's pretty unreasonable for all 448
members to be contacted by someone with an enquiry about how to become
a member (I've seen a few of those emails, and I assume them to have
come through there, although there is no way for me to verify that).

If there is the ability to contact team administrators, and
individuals, then I don't really see any use case for providing a way
to contact an entire team.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org