Re: [Launchpad-users] Your top three wishes for Launchpad? (4.0 planning)

Citando Max Bowsher <maxb@xxxxxxx>:

That would be
useful to easily backport packages from the development version to the
stable versions.

*Please* do not use this for backporting packages.

If you do copy source into a previous series, then the result will be
packages built in the previous series environment but which have the
same version number as the official packages.

As a result, when someone installs the 'backported' packages and then
later upgrades to the Ubuntu release they were backported from, those
packages will *not* get upgraded, potentially leading to all kinds of
bizarre and really difficult to debug problems.

This is why any backport should always use a ~foo version suffix.

Maybe a little off topic here, but doesn't this problem also happens with standard Ubuntu packages that don't get an update between version?

Take a look for example at torcs packages: same version in intrepid and jaunty. Shouldn't the jaunty package be recompiled with jaunty's compiler and libraries and have a different version? I am sure that this package was not replaced during upgrade from intrepid to jaunty because I modified some xml files of it and after the upgrade the files were the same I had before.

Maybe a recompile is only triggered manually when there is some incompatible changes in the used libraries?