Re: [Launchpad-users] Your top three wishes for Launchpad? (4.0 planning)

On Thu, 2009-09-03 at 11:28 +0100, James Westby wrote:
> On Thu Sep 03 10:35:51 +0100 2009 William Grant wrote:
> > This sounds like it could be conveniently worked into the feature to
> > build packages from branches, as that has to do all that and more.
>
> Does it?
>
> I think the current expectation is that you prepare your upload, push to
> LP and request the build, which then uses the content verbatim.
>
> I'm not sure we want to get in to asking the user for changelog entries
> and the like when they request a build.
>
> My only concern with that is that it doesn't necessarily fail fast. The
> user will request the build, and then get a mail telling them that
> the target distribution 'UNRELEASED' is unknown or something similar.
>
> I agree that it could be useful to have these things automated in some
> cases, but I'm not sure it's a requirement to have build-from-branch.

Not a requirement, no, but it requires much of the same infrastructure.
Once build-from-branch exists, LP will have a facility to build source
packages itself in a secure environment, which would probably be rather
easy to extend to this.