Re: [Launchpad-users] File X.diff.gz already exists in Y's PPA, but uploaded version has different contents

2009/11/10 Fabian Köster <koesterreich@xxxxxxx>:
> Hi Julian,
>
>> The subject of your email references the "diff" but you mention the "orig"
>> here.
>>
>> Have you already uploaded the same version of this package to your PPA
>>  before? You can't do it again, and Launchpad won't allow the same filename
>>  to be uploaded twice with different contents either.
>
> You are right, it is about the "diff", not the "orig" and the same version of
> this package is already in my PPA.
>
> I thought it should be possible to upload the same package with same version
> multiple times, as long as the original source ("orig.tar.gz") does not
> change. But probably you are right.
>
> I am constantly working on the packaging and therefore modifying the files
> under debian/ and hoped it is possible to leave the version for not having to
> increase it every time.

I imagine you are just uploading these to to test whether they build,
not actually to use the PPA as a repository. At least while you're
constantly changing debian/....   If that's the case, you might want
to look into using pbuilder locally:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PbuilderHowto

You can build your packages over and over to your hearts content,
until you have it exactly how you want it. Then uploaded the finished
product to the PPA for distribution.

Just ignore me if you already know about pbuilder.

- Andrew