Re: [Launchpad-users] File X.diff.gz already exists in Y's PPA, but uploaded version has different contents

On Wed, 2009-11-11 at 11:44 +0000, Julian Edwards wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 November 2009 10:27:14 Richard Wilbur wrote:
[...]
> Hi
>
> This is bad advice I'm afraid, you can never re-upload the same version.  This
> is disallowed because apt clients get rather upset if you try and download the
> same package version with different contents.
>
> See https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA/Deleting

Thanks for the link to the updated PPA documentation page.

I agree that the best solution is simply to increment the version of the
source package.  A package version numbering scheme can be very helpful
in this regard.  Using a generic "hello" package as an example:
hello_2.0.1-1~myppa1~hardy

Here the structure is
~<ppa name><ppa-related package attempt>
~<distro series><series package attempt>

package name = hello
major = 2
minor = 0
fix = 1
source package attempt = 1 (optional)
ppa name = myppa
ppa-related package attempt = 1
distro series = hardy   (Ubuntu 8.04<=>Hardy Heron)
series package attempt = (missing => 1)

The upstream source version is 2.0.1 for this package.  Whenever the
upstream source tree changes, this version number changes.

Increment <source package attempt> (optional) for fixes related to
problems packaging the upstream source, such as missing files, etc.

Increment <ppa-related package attempt> (optional) for fixes related to
problems creating Debian-style source packages ("debs").

Increment <series package attempt> (optional) for packaging changes
required for successful deployment on a particular distribution series.

Adopting a convention such as that outlined above (feel free to adapt),
allows you to make several attempts at getting the Debian and Ubuntu
packaging and install parts correct while dealing with the same upstream
source version and at the same time avoid worrying Launchpad, dput, or
apt about package version instability.

On the other hand, I recommend Andrew's instructions for quick
turnaround when specifically trying to get a package to build.

Best wishes learning the packaging system,

Richard
--
PGP public key at
http://keyserver.ubuntu.com:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA7CEB3C711AFF0B0