Re: [Launchpad-users] version upload issue

On 14/02/11 21:56, Martin Pool wrote:
> On 15 February 2011 01:27, Daniel Hollocher <danielhollocher@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Thanks for the tips folks.  I'm not sure how much changing the version is an
>> option for me.
>>

>>> It's not messed up, but as others have said you can't reuse that version.
>>>
>>> If you just got it slightly wrong, increment the number and try again.
>>>  For example if you accidentally uploaded 2.2 as 2.3-1ubuntu1, and you
>>> now want to upload the real 2.3, just say 2.3-1ubuntu-2.  If you used
>>> a number very far in the future and the real series will never pass
>>> that, you need to use an epoch as Umang suggested.
>>>
>>> If you need help say more about your particular case.
>>

>> I'm trying to maintain a patch against the kernel, and I'm trying to script
>> most of the re-packaging.  I made some mistakes and I ended up uploading a
>> maverick versioned meta-linux to the lucid series.  So 2.6.35 instead of
>> 2.6.32, ie, for the life of lucid.  I believe I have the issue fixed, so it
>> shouldn't be a problem in the future.  But it is still good to know that I
>> have to be careful.
>> I'm using a testing ppa, soo, I think worse comes to worse, I think I can
>> just create a new testing ppa.  And regarding changing the epoch, I suspect
>> that just making a new ppa makes more sense and is less risky.
>> Let me know if there is anything wrong with my approach.
>
> I think this is a reasonable approach, assuming you don't have so many
> people following the ppa that changing urls will be a problem.
>
> You might even get away with deleting and then re-creating the ppa.

It is impossible to recreate a PPA with the name of a deleted one (for
now?).

However, if there are no people following the PPA, it should be fine to
delete the 2.6.35whatever and later upload a replacement 2.6.32whatever.

This is perfectly possible (e.g. see
https://launchpad.net/~bzr/+archive/daily/+packages?field.name_filter=builddeb&field.status_filter=&field.series_filter=lucid
where the published version is 2.5.1, but 2.6 was previously published)

The thing you need to be aware of is that if anyone *is* following your
PPA, they will not get any updates to the package in question until they
manually remove the erroneously versioned package - if this is a
problem, then the standard thing to do is to version your package as
2.6.35really2.6.32whatever

Max.