Re: Lubuntu could end up like Xubuntu (Heavy & Slow)

Hello everyone,

it is fantastic to see people are joining and have lots of ideas. We
had IRC meet ups in order to have a less time-consuming way to talk to
each other. PCMan and others of the LXDE team took part in those
meetings. Besides that during recent months, we have met up among some
people in person for example in Singapore, Taiwan and Germany.

About applications - decisions are not final, but we had (and have) a
fair bit of discussion about it already.

I believe much depends on the goal we aim for. As I have been around
emerging countries during last years, I developed an idea about what
would be a nice thing to have in those countries. I believe lubuntu
can be a good thing for many people. We need to keep it lightweight,
but at the same time include essential features (that work for the
user group we aim for).

Internet bandwidth in countries like Afghanistan or in African
countries is often very low. So, we need to consider this. Some people
say "you can just download and install applications on top of a
minimum install", in regions with limited bandwidth this is not an
option.

In regards to mobile devices and architectures like ARM and Mips, we
also have to think that new netbooks and other devices are coming out.
They often have low resolutions. I recently saw a netbook with 800x420
screen resolution in China.

So, I think talking about the goal of the distribution is the first
thing to consider and the second step is to talk about single
applications. If an applications fulfills goals well, but at a later
point another application fulfills our goals better, we can switch.

The question now: What is the goal of lubuntu for you? Do you suggest
something else?

All the best,

Mario