Re: FW: Another interesting music player

1. Given you have proper codecs and audio libs installed for mplayer,
adding a music player won't bring many addiional dependencies since
they are already there.
2. Usability matters. If you consider user interface, gnome-mplayer is
a nice video player but it's really a bad music player. It's even
difficult for the users to find that gnome-mplayer actually plays
music.
3. Playing music and video are quite different things.  The focus of
video player is smooth image processing, and the focus of music player
should be playlists management. It's quite often that you have more
than 100 songs in playlist, but normally you won't put 100 video files
in play queue and play them one by one. Music player and video player
are totally for different purpose.
4. If someone still remember, winamp 5, the famous music player on
Windows in the past tried to support video playback, but do people use
it? It's still mostly used as music player.

Unless your goal is something that can fit 100 mb cd, I think that
removing music player is not a valid approach to a desktop focusing on
usability.