Re: Fwd: Grub Install Bug @Lubuntu-10.04 (Distribution Release)

hi Goh,

yes, there is, it is *not* a dell issue, as is clearly explained, also the
work around for a bug that one of the devs
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/496435/comments/6  says
is not fully tested, the consensus of those who are dealing with problems
over at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1516153 is still to use
still to use  "dpkg-reconfigure" and not apt-get etc.

I'm awaiting the guy who writes up a lot of documentation that we mere
mortals use to refer to in order to have a chat with him, I have a strong
sense that he will also shrug his shoulders and say that the grub team have
messed up (again) and to continue to use the dpkg-reconfigure option. I
recall that grub2 came out and totally broke RAID support. They have been
playing catch up ever since. Given the chance, I'd use burg as it is more
pro-active and re-active to problems.

I really do not know why we are arguing over this? Grub 2 can cause major
problems when there is more than one hard disk involved - that is beyond
dispute. In 9.10 it cannot support RAID, with 10.04 we got a newer version
that gave some RAID support, but they would not back port it, when 10.04
came out it had a big fall out with Win7. - that is still a 'work around'.

Such a basic part of *nix should not need 'work-arounds', n00bs will not
that there is one - It must be sorted out.

Should not we be trying to help the OP, it is quite evident there is a
problem and people get annoyed over having their computer in a non booting
mode? Regardless of any sleek looking graphics, let us not fall into the
trap that Microsoft did with Service Pack 2 for XP. When we do tempt people
over to *nix, if their first introduction to it is a broken system they will
not only never come back, they will tell everyone that *nix breaks
computers. That is not acceptable, we are in the hands of the Grub people -
so people should complain there and we should ensure that people asking why
lubuntu does not work in such situations are clearly told that it is not a
fault of lubuntu.