Re: Fwd: Grub Install Bug @Lubuntu-10.04 (Distribution Release)

On 06/27/2010 03:33 PM, Phillip Whiteside wrote:
hi Goh,

yes, there is, it is *not* a dell issue, as is clearly explained, also
the work around for a bug that one of the devs
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/496435/comments/6  says
is not fully tested, the consensus of those who are dealing with
problems over at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1516153 is
still to use still to use "dpkg-reconfigure" and not apt-get etc.

First, alpha versions are not for Newbies, these are for people who are helping to test and report bugs. Problems with alpha's are to be expected. People are always reminded non-final releases are not meant for production and tend to break. So if someone complains his alpha version is buggy and the developers are not doing their job, you know where they should be told to go.

I'm awaiting the guy who writes up a lot of documentation that we mere
mortals use to refer to in order to have a chat with him, I have a
strong sense that he will also shrug his shoulders and say that the grub
team have messed up (again) and to continue to use the dpkg-reconfigure
option. I recall that grub2 came out and totally broke RAID support.
They have been playing catch up ever since. Given the chance, I'd use
burg as it is more pro-active and re-active to problems.

I really do not know why we are arguing over this? Grub 2 can cause
major problems when there is more than one hard disk involved - that is
beyond dispute. In 9.10 it cannot support RAID, with 10.04 we got a
newer version that gave some RAID support, but they would not back port
it, when 10.04 came out it had a big fall out with Win7. - that is still
a 'work around'.

Raid/LVM issues are settled as of...
http://grub.enbug.org/LVMandRAID
and can't you do a simple "grub-install --root-directory=....." (with sudo of course) instead as 'backport'?

Such a basic part of *nix should not need 'work-arounds', n00bs will not
that there is one - It must be sorted out.

Should not we be trying to help the OP, it is quite evident there is a
problem and people get annoyed over having their computer in a non
booting mode? Regardless of any sleek looking graphics, let us not fall
into the trap that Microsoft did with Service Pack 2 for XP. When we do
tempt people over to *nix, if their first introduction to it is a broken
system they will not only never come back, they will tell everyone that
*nix breaks computers. That is not acceptable, we are in the hands of
the Grub people - so people should complain there and we should ensure
that people asking why lubuntu does not work in such situations are
clearly told that it is not a fault of lubuntu.

Yes, we should always try to help anyone who needs help. Even with people on maverick alpha #one#. (That's where it's at, my goodness). But to have a problem and to lash out is not acceptable, even with final released versions.

Phillip, if you are the 'philinux' at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1516153 you should be in a position to understand this more than others. I am surprised that this needs even be mentioned.
If you are not, then I reiterate some basic points....

o Alpha versions are not meant for production, and tend to break. It is *not* recommended for 'normal' use but experienced users are welcome to *test* and report any bugs. Bear in mind it may render the whole system unusable and a complete reinstall may be necessary.

o A basic code of conduct on *ubuntu's mailing list can be found at
http://www.ubuntu.com/support/community/mailinglists
http://www.ubuntu.com/community/conduct
I suggest a reread and adherence to it.

o This mailing list is to ask for help and to provide it. Not to rant, troll or ...

Phillip, or Quynh, again, is there any specific grub issue affecting you that you want addressed? I may not have all the answers and perhaps a bug report may indeed needed be filed, but what is it that needs to be brought up?

Goh Lip