Re: WARNING: X-server breakage coming soon to a computer near you

To all, not withstanding Lane and I got our Lubuntu Maverick working, please take note of the following post from the Ubuntu list

> You are going to have to use nouveau for now, the proprietary
> nvidia-96 and nvidia-173 drivers do not work with xserver 1.9 and most
> likely will not until right before release. 256.44 that is in
> ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates does work for the GPU's it supports with
> IgnoreABI added to the serverflags section in your xorg.conf but the
> older releases don't. If you want accelerated 3D (for compiz) with
> nouveau you can install the libgl1-mesa-dri-experimental package if
> you are using the mesa 7.8 that is in maverick.
>
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14 is the proper
> place to report the problem, we can't do anything about it with the
> binary drivers.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?&t=153963
From AaronP (the nVidia guy that helps/supports Ubuntu):
<quote>
Re: X server 1.9 crash with 173.14.27
Prerelease and release candidate X servers are not officially supported.
In addition, Keith just declared the ABI in the upcoming xserver 1.9
series as frozen, so support will be coming soon in a future version of
the current release series, but support in the legacy drivers is not
considered a particularly high priority so don't expect it any time soon.
</quote>

So please watch out.

Regards - Goh Lip