Re: Audio players

On 27 February 2011 14:44, Jean-Pierre Vidal Piesset <jpxsat@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2011/2/27 Jared Norris <jrnorris@xxxxxxxxx>
>>
>> On 27 February 2011 13:10, Jean-Pierre Vidal Piesset <jpxsat@xxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>> > Mike:

>> > Decibel has gstreamer dependecies... something that in Lubuntu i don't
>> > think
>> > we are very friend of.
>> > Pogo and Pragha are not in the repositories (at least for 10.04) so it
>> > generates a problem for the Lubuntu team as they have to take in charge
>> > another package... (and so, i didn't even tried them)
>> > Alsa-Player is in the repos, no huge dependencies and it really
>> > impressed me
>> > about the cpu consumption, but taking a quick look at it, resulted that
>> > it's
>> > a very incomplete software... starting with the fact that it has no
>> > autoplay
>> > :( Audacious if a little more heavy for the CPU but it's a very complete
>> > piece of software ;)
>> > --
>> > jpxsat
>> >

>> Just a quick question. I have been using exaile for years now on gnome
>> and was wondering if it would be suitable? It has some gstreamer
>> dependencies though so if this is a deal breaker I guess not. The only
>> thing is I have been using it as a full features program on a quad
>> core box and it idles along under 1% cpu usage but I don't have the
>> ability to test it on older hardware so thought I'd just mention and
>> see if anyone has the ability to test this or not.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Jared Norris JP(Qual) BBehSc(Psych)
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JaredNorris
>

> Just tested Exaile, the CPU runs fine (17~25%), but it's a little more than
> Audacious (13~17%). But i can see crearly why is not an option for Lubuntu:
> it consumes 40mb Ram vs Audacious that consumes 17~18mb Ram
> Besides, for simplicity packages audacious are just 2... for exaile there
> are plenty of it (wich i don't know if it's a bad thing or not, but an app
> with just 2 packages seems simplier to me ;)
>

> --
> jpxsat

Thanks for testing that, sorry it's not a real option but I've just
found it reasonably good for large play lists so thought it was worth
a shot. I should look at audacious at some stage myself I guess. I
agree though, the less we can do "specifically for Lubuntu" the
better, so anything that's in the repositories already has my vote.