Re: [lubuntu-desktop] amd64 build of Lubuntu.

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 10:24 PM, Jonathan Marsden <jmarsden@xxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Agreed, although I'm a little puzzled by it; generally speaking 64bit
> addressing doesn't get you anything useful until you have 4GB or more
> of RAM, and most 64bit PC CPUs are multicore; run on that level of PC
> hardware, the extra overhead of GNOME or Xfce is really not all that
> noticeable/bad, IMO.  .....
>
> Jonathan

It's because some people prefer a lightweight system with a simple UI.  I
use Lubuntu because it consumes between 1-2 watts less power than the last
version of Ubuntu I used.  As a result, I can get around 8 hours of battery
life out of my dual-core 11.6" laptop with wifi on, listening to music while
surfing the web.  But I also do a little java/grails development and I want
to use a 64-bit IDE.  I think Lubuntu has a lot to offer anyone, not just
people with low powered machines.  That's why there is interest in 64-bit.