Re: [12.04] Firefox instead of Chromium?

I like the idea of a script.. at least for most of it. The one bugaboo will be doing start up and shut down tests. Maybe we could use an appropriate signal? I'm not sure which one would be used to cleanly shutdown the program, but, for example, with SIGTERM we could do:

kill -n 15 $(pidof firefox)
kill -n 15 $(pidof chromium-browse)

We need to know what systems these are being run on.

Therefore:
uname -srov
lsb_release -a
cat /proc/cpuinfo
cat /proc/meminfo

We need to use new/fresh profiles.

So:
firefox -CreateProfile foo && firefox -P foo <space separated list of URLs to be opened in tabs> chromium-browser --user-data-dir=foo <space separated list of URLs to be opened in tabs>

One problem with this is that Chromium defaults to loading a choice of search engines.. so it's not technically "started up."

It IS important we use as many tabs as reasonable. There tends to be a bit of diversion in performance between browsers depending on the number of tabs opened.

As for getting resource usage, I'm thinking that a good solution would be to use proc. Rather than try to follow a moving target (e.g. lxtask), something more static might be useful:
cat /proc/$(pidof firefox)
cat /proc/$(pidof chromium-browse)

wxl/walter