Re: Fw: Dropping i386 non-PAE as a supported kernel flavour in Precise Pangolin

On 19 November 2011 16:00, Jonathan Marsden <jmarsden@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 11/18/2011 05:43 PM, Jared Norris wrote:
>
>> So to this end, my question is, is there a simple command people can
>> run to see if their CPU can run PAE kernels? I would have thought if
>> "cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep pae" would not give any output if the CPUs
>> weren't capable? I'm not an expert so just wanting to confirm.
>

> That works, but is inelegant.  You win a "UUOC" award, see
> http://partmaps.org/era/unix/award.html <grin>!
>
> My suggested equivalent (but shorter, clearer and more efficient)
> command would be
>
>  grep pae /proc/cpuinfo
>
> Jonathan

Hah thanks, I thought I did well for someone who couldn't program a
hello world script, goes to show why you are great for the Lubuntu
community (keeping things efficient) and I am only capable of
documenting how great you and Julien are ;)

So time for everyone to run the command and let us know if you get no
output. Receiving no output from the command indicates that it's
possible your CPU might be one of the ones they are talking about
removing support for by dropping PAE kernels. That will be the true
test of if this will impact us at all. If no one reports having a
problem then really all this is a storm in a teacup.

Jared Norris JP(Qual) BBehSc(Psych)
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JaredNorris