Re: Fw: Dropping i386 non-PAE as a supported kernel flavour in Precise Pangolin

On 6 January 2012 17:10, Steven <stenten@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi, I'm running Lubuntu on a non-PAE kernel too :)
>
> 1.4GHz Pentium M in a Dell Latitude D505 with 512MB RAM from 2004. It's my
> main production machine and runs Lubuntu like a charm.
>
> I've been reading through the emails and irc logs, and it sounds like the
> kernel team is maintaining the non-pae kernel in Precise (but not beyond),
> but just not setting it as the default -- any chance someone can convince
> them to make the non-pae kernel the default in just Lubuntu? Colin Watson
> mentioned this as a possibility in the Technical Board meeting [1].
>
> -Steven
>
> [1]: http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2011/ubuntu-meeting.2011-12-12-21.01.moin.txt
>

> On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 5:31 PM, Yorvyk <yorvik.ubunto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:

Steven,

Running a PAE kernel and capable of running a PAE kernel are a couple
of different things. I'd honestly be surpised if that CPU wasn't
capable of running a PAE kernel. Are you able to run the command "grep
pae /proc/cpuinfo" to see if it is capable of running a PAE kernel? If
you get any output please paste it back if you're not sure what it
means.

Jared Norris JP(Qual) BBehSc(Psych)
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JaredNorris