Re: Lubuntu 12.04 - fan and cpu speed control is in some way wrong

I don't see what the problem is.  When compiling the processor is at 100% use so it is going to be at its hottest.  It is perfectly reasonable to expect the fan to be at full blast.  If the fan was not coming on during compiling then I would be concerned (this actually was the case about a year and a half ago due to a bug - I assume it has been fixed). There seems to be confusion throughout these messages between cpu frequency scaling and fan control.  Both affect the temperature of the computer and how often the fan comes on.

The bizarre thing about these messages is that MintPPC 9 is held up as working.  By default it actually has no fan control or cpu frequency scaling for G4 iBooks or Albooks. Please re-read the link about powernowd as it tells you how to disable the ondemand governor from taking over. Again, if you read the links you will discover that the module for fan control for G4 ibooks and albooks is now built into the ubuntu kernel.  If this causes problems (on these machines or others) then that change needs reversing.  You will find the bug report in the first link I gave.  I suspect, however, that differences you are seeing in fans coming on are due to other factors. A fan coming on is often an indicator of some runaway process eating up CPU time.  It maybe worth running the top command and seeing what your idle percentage is.  > Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 07:16:03 +0100