Re: 12.04 ppc - problems list

2012/2/20 ∅ <maps.backward@xxxxxxxxx>:

[ . . . ]

>> When you rightclick on the desktop you have that menu with New, Paste
>> etc and as a last item Configure Desktop. Clicking on that you have
>> the options to configure the desktop ( pcmanfm --desktop-pref`). If
>> you activate there Advanced  on the rightclick you get now: PCManFM,
>> Lxterminal, Browser - and nothing else. So, there is no way back save
>> you start in terminal `pcmanfm --desktop-pref`. That's absolutely not
>> good. The advanced menu, at least, should offer, over the 3 existing
>> options, Setup Desktop and Obconf or Lxappearance. I tried to
>> configure that "by hand" editing the
>> `/usr/share/lubuntu/openbox/menu.xml`but it gave no effect. May be
>> there is another config file overruling that one?
> oh. you do realize these are two different menus, right?
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Documentation/FAQ/Guides#Right-clicking_on_desktop_pulls_up_a_menu_that_is_missing_the_.22Desktop_Preferences.22_option_and_now_I_can.27t_change_my_wallpaper
>
> the openbox one (the advanced menu) is configured with
> /etc/xdg/openbox/menu.xml.
>
> as for /usr/share/lubuntu/openbox/menu.xml, if you copy it to
> ~/.config/openbox, it will also configured this advanced menu. it also
> has the extra benefit of being written specifically for lubuntu, so it
> offers (i think) a better framework to work off of than the above. make
> sure any time you make changes to it, that you run openbox --reconfigure
> to test them.

Here, i'm confused: Frankly, i' didn't consider the
`/etc/xdg/openbox/menu.xml`but those in ùsr/share/lubuntu/openbox`.
The files are very similar. Those in xdg/openbox contains only
Terminal Emulator and WebBrowser, those in `lubuntu/openbox`contains
als PCManFM. And, from the logic i'd presume the latter is the one
that rules the menu options on rightclick desktop. When i do that i
see that 3 menus, not the 2 one of the other file.

I'd found this wiki file regarding openbox:
http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Menus - but i didn't have success. For
sure i did something wrong, but i'm clueless. At least i'd like a lot
to have the menu point desktop preferences in the advanced menu (so,
at any time you could go back and forth without having to use the
terminal!).

Thanks for the point on `openbox --reconfigure`.

For the rest, i pretty much agree with you on all the rest. A small
word re the fan, then you might bring that to an own thread: using
powernowd and having set limit_adjust from 0 to 5 (see here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1358034&highlight=limit_adjust
) seems to have solved most of the problems.

And then, a proposal: I'd think it's a good idea to put in in the
live-cd (or at least into the installer) the graphical interface to
pbbuttonsd (powerprefs). Makes many things easier for average users
like me.