Re: reliably get persistence to work

On 04/17/2013, ∅ wrote:

> sure but it does require the iso and thus any tools needed to
> connect to the network, unetbootin and parted or gparted. no reason
> you can't download all that while in the session.

The ISO is on the LiveCD that you booted from, and parted is installed
by default as part of that LiveCD (at least in Lubuntu 12.04.2 , for me,
it is!).  So all you need to somehow add to the default Lubuntu LiveCD
is unetbootin, if that is your tool of choice for creating "persistent"
USB installations.

As far as I can see, you should not need to download the ISO again, nor
should you need to download parted, both are already there.  Am I
missing something?

Thinking about the task as a whole, there is almost certainly a way to
do this without the need for unetbootin, and so without any need for an
Internet connection.  HOWEVER, such an approach is likely to involve
some command line use which novice users are likely to find "scary".
Use of parted, mkfs, grub-install, dd and perhaps mount and cp, and the
ability to type a grub menu file, should be all that is needed.

Some people might think this does not qualify as being "an easy way",
though.  Writing a shell script to do this, taking the USB stick device
name to use as a parameter, would be a fun exercise, if someone has a
spare evening to do it :)

Jonathan