Re: [Suggestion] Having another version for Lubuntu (Mini Lubuntu)

On 06/02/2013 10:09 PM, Erick Brunzell wrote:

> I plan to shift a greater amount of my focus to upgrade testing both
> via 'release-upgrader' and via 'live-iso'. Upgrade tests can be
> quite time consuming (particularly if bugs are encountered making
> retesting necessary) because they require the installation,
> updating, and modifying of the prior release.

VM snapshots are your friend for that, though :)

> But, back to the 'lubuntu-core' vs 'lubuntu-desktop' issue, I'd
> prefer that we take an approach similar to that of Edubuntu where
> they offer additional installation options on the live images. After
> the "preparing to install" screen they have two additional screens
> pop up.

Good and very relevant idea.  I think it depends on whether the machines
for which a "core install" would be appropriate have enough RAM to even
use the Lubuntu GUI installer at all.  My suspicion is that they would
not -- in which case, this idea does not help the machines that a "core
install" is needed for.

> In our case I'd think we'd only need one additional screen where a
> person could choose either a "core" install or a "full" install. But
> given the limited number of developers dedicated to Lubuntu I
> suspect we'd need a volunteer from the installer team to devote a
> great number of hours (probably weeks) of dev work.

Perhaps.  Which is why I asked what the target audience is, and want to
see evidence of a significant number of users of an unofficial way to do
this (easy menu-driven lubuntu-core install) before spending "official"
dev time on it.

Jonathan