Re: [Suggestion] Having another version for Lubuntu (Mini Lubuntu)

On 06/02/2013 10:59 PM, Jonathan Marsden wrote:
> On 06/02/2013 11:27 AM, Phill Whiteside wrote:
>
>> this is mentioned on our Minimal Install page.
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Documentation/MinimalInstall
>> where > have 'desktop install' (the normal one), and 'core install' (very
>> stripped down).
> I think (if I am understanding Ali correctly) that the proposal is for
> creating an official additional ISO image that would only have on it a
> "core" Lubuntu.  So you could then use an Alternate Installer approach
> to install a "really light" Lubuntu without needing to first install a
> cli-only system and then add GUI packages "by hand".
>
> Such an ISO is not mentioned on the wiki, because it does not yet exist.
>
> This would mean another seed file, and another ISO to test... seems like
> significant work, unless there are reasonably large numbers of users
> that would would benefit.
>
> Ali: What is the use case for this proposed ISO?  What range of machine
> hardware specs do you expect it would install on and be useful on, that
> the current Lubuntu ISOs cannot install onto?  Who is the "target
> audience" for this ISO image?  How many such people are there out there
> who would use it, if it existed?
>
> My instinct is that this might be more appropriately done as an
> unofficial one-man-project initially (in other words, "just do it!").
> Then, if it turns out to be popular, you would have some evidence to
> suggest it is worth making it official after that.
>
> Jonathan

I sent a reply earlier but I think my attachments bollixed the whole
deal so I'm resending this w/o the attachments;

Phil has already reflected a bit on this, and I largely share his
sentiments. I added Julien to the conversation in case he cares to add
any feedback ...... I hope he doesn't shoot me.

Purely from an iso/upgrade testers perspective I'd hate to see us add
anymore images because the workload is quite daunting already. I rather
imagine it's a nightmare on the dev/maintenance end also.

I plan to shift a greater amount of my focus to upgrade testing both via
'release-upgrader' and via 'live-iso'. Upgrade tests can be quite time
consuming (particularly if bugs are encountered making retesting
necessary) because they require the installation, updating, and
modifying of the prior release.

Due to the daunting workload I've even hoped that wireless support in
the netboot images will soon improve to the point we can drop the
alternate images altogether, but I'm unsure where we're at in that
regard and I have no wireless with which to test.

But, back to the 'lubuntu-core' vs 'lubuntu-desktop' issue, I'd prefer
that we take an approach similar to that of Edubuntu where they offer
additional installation options on the live images. After the "preparing
to install" screen they have two additional screens pop up.

In our case I'd think we'd only need one additional screen where a
person could choose either a "core" install or a "full" install. But
given the limited number of developers dedicated to Lubuntu I suspect
we'd need a volunteer from the installer team to devote a great number
of hours (probably weeks) of dev work.

Lance