Re: [Suggestion] Having another version for Lubuntu (Mini Lubuntu)

On 06/02/2013 11:27 AM, Phill Whiteside wrote:

> this is mentioned on our Minimal Install page.
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Documentation/MinimalInstall
> where > have 'desktop install' (the normal one), and 'core install' (very
> stripped down).

I think (if I am understanding Ali correctly) that the proposal is for
creating an official additional ISO image that would only have on it a
"core" Lubuntu.  So you could then use an Alternate Installer approach
to install a "really light" Lubuntu without needing to first install a
cli-only system and then add GUI packages "by hand".

Such an ISO is not mentioned on the wiki, because it does not yet exist.

This would mean another seed file, and another ISO to test... seems like
significant work, unless there are reasonably large numbers of users
that would would benefit.

Ali: What is the use case for this proposed ISO?  What range of machine
hardware specs do you expect it would install on and be useful on, that
the current Lubuntu ISOs cannot install onto?  Who is the "target
audience" for this ISO image?  How many such people are there out there
who would use it, if it existed?

My instinct is that this might be more appropriately done as an
unofficial one-man-project initially (in other words, "just do it!").
Then, if it turns out to be popular, you would have some evidence to
suggest it is worth making it official after that.

Jonathan