Re: [Suggestion] Having another version for Lubuntu (Mini Lubuntu)

On 06/03/2013 10:50 PM, Erick Brunzell wrote:

> On 06/03/2013 01:21 AM, Jonathan Marsden wrote:

>> Is there a reason the wiki page Phill referred to does not document
>> or even mention this possibility?  Why are we documenting command
>> line approaches instead?

> The biggest difference is that our cli instructions don't install
> recommends. ...

OK.  I don't have time tonight, but someone should do two Lubuntu "core"
installs using the Raring mini.iso, one using the cli instructions, and
another using the tasksel task, and then compare the resulting installed
package lists.  From the list of recommended packages you provided, the
cli install would perhaps not include the ability to print.  That's
pretty minimalist, I must say :)  Is printing considered to be a core
capability of Lubuntu?  While I rarely if ever connect a local printer
to an Lubuntu PC, I do expect to be able to print from Lubuntu to a
networked printer, on occasion.

I'm still a bit fuzzy in my mind about who would want or need a
pretty/easy way to install Lubuntu core, who would also not be able to
install (or not want to install) normal Lubuntu.  Is this really a
significant segment of the Lubuntu user community?  You'd need a very
small hard drive and RAM, I suspect, to need this.

Jonathan