Re: [Suggestion] Having another version for Lubuntu (Mini Lubuntu)

On 06/04/2013 01:49 AM, Jonathan Marsden wrote:
> On 06/03/2013 10:50 PM, Erick Brunzell wrote:
>
>> On 06/03/2013 01:21 AM, Jonathan Marsden wrote:
>>> Is there a reason the wiki page Phill referred to does not document
>>> or even mention this possibility?  Why are we documenting command
>>> line approaches instead?
>> The biggest difference is that our cli instructions don't install
>> recommends. ...
> OK.  I don't have time tonight, but someone should do two Lubuntu "core"
> installs using the Raring mini.iso, one using the cli instructions, and
> another using the tasksel task, and then compare the resulting installed
> package lists.  From the list of recommended packages you provided, the
> cli install would perhaps not include the ability to print.  That's
> pretty minimalist, I must say :)  Is printing considered to be a core
> capability of Lubuntu?  While I rarely if ever connect a local printer
> to an Lubuntu PC, I do expect to be able to print from Lubuntu to a
> networked printer, on occasion.
>
> I'm still a bit fuzzy in my mind about who would want or need a
> pretty/easy way to install Lubuntu core, who would also not be able to
> install (or not want to install) normal Lubuntu.  Is this really a
> significant segment of the Lubuntu user community?  You'd need a very
> small hard drive and RAM, I suspect, to need this.
>
> Jonathan

I largely agree with everything you're saying here, I also wondered
about the lack of "acpi-support" using "no-install-recommends". And
possibly even the lack of bluetooth support?

On another note - going back to my original reply:

https://lists.launchpad.net/lubuntu-qa/msg02568.html

#1: I say no to creating a new image.

#2: I hope wireless support improves in the netboot images to a point
that we can drop the alternate images altogether.

#3: Since it's impossible to ever reach a true consensus regarding
default apps it would be cool if the live CD offered a minimal install
so each user could then install the browser and other apps desired
post-installation. But I see that as a long term wish-list item, NOT
something we should consider until the alternate images are retired.

Lance