Re: [Suggestion] Having another version for Lubuntu (Mini Lubuntu)

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013, at 01:23 AM, Erick Brunzell wrote:

> #2: I hope wireless support improves in the netboot images to a point
> that we can drop the alternate images altogether.

Fine only where Internet bandwidth is plentiful and cheap.  If you have
multiple users in a place where Internet connectivity is slow or
expensive or both, netboot doesn't scale.  You then force such folks to
learn enough to set up a local repository, I think.  That isn't all that
simple to do.

With an alternate installer, as at present, they download (or have
mailed or hand-carried to them) an ISO image, and can then install it on
many PCs with no further Internet bandwidth usage.

> #3: Since it's impossible to ever reach a true consensus regarding
> default apps it would be cool if the live CD offered a minimal install
> so each user could then install the browser and other apps desired post-
> installation. But I see that as a long term wish-list item, NOT
> something we should consider until the alternate images are retired.

Users who care enough to do that, care enough to remove the "unwanted"
default apps anyway, so is this really a significant gain?  You are only
saving them a few minutes during the install, and a few more not needing
to uninstall the apps they dislike.  That's a few minutes per year
saved, even if they do a fresh install annually.

Jonathan
--
  Jonathan Marsden
  jmarsden@xxxxxxxxxxx