Re: [PPC] Saucy Daily Build for 6/21 hangs on Plymouth Text Screen

@James King

The first thing needed to boot from your usb port is to copy the Live CD iso to a USB flash drive. I use the instructions found below (manual approach), but I eliminate the steps for converting the iso to an img file type. I've found it unnecessary. My powermacs and iBook G4 will all boot from an iso file.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/How%20to%20install%20Ubuntu%20on%20MacBook%20using%20USB%20Stick

After you create your usb flash drive, then try the following:

To boot my Powermac G4's from the usb flash drive, I hold down the option key (alt key) while starting the computer. Then choose the usb flash drive from the list.

To boot my iBook G4, I start the computer in open firmware mode by holding down the "option-apple-O-F" key combination while starting the laptop, When the open firmware window opens, type this:

boot usb1/disk@1:2,\\yaboot

or

boot usb0/disk@1:2,\\yaboot

The iBook has 2 usb ports. Depending on which port I place the usb flash drive into, one of the above commands will work.

If neither of the above techniques work for your G4 mac mini, then Google is your friend. I don't have a mac mini to personally test, but I seem to recall reading the open firmware method is the one which works with the mini.

BTW, I just tried booting the June 22 Live iso and it failed on my Powermac G4. First time that's happened for me with 13.10. I booted with live-nosplash and the snd-powermac boot parameter and it is seeming to hang at the network configuration stage. I will have more time to investigate tomorrow.

Keith