Re: Lubuntu 13.10 beta

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 3:47 PM, Nio Wiklund <nio.wiklund@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Ali,
>
> Replies and comments inline ...
>
> Best regards/Nio
>
> On 2013-09-18 13:26, Ali Linx (amjjawad) wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 3:17 PM, Nio Wiklund <nio.wiklund@xxxxxxxxx
> > <mailto:nio.wiklund@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
> >
> >     Hi everybody,
> >

> > Hi my friend,
> >

> >     Finally, I tested the newest daily build (Sep 17 2013) of the 32-bit
> >     Lubuntu saucy-desktop-i386.iso
> >
> >     in the same machine and with the same conditions.
> >
> >     RAM = 384, 512 MB, 768 MB
> >
> >     Finished gracefully, but froze after I clicked reboot. Working system
> >     installed.
> >
> >     RAM = 1024 MB
> >
> >     No freeze, but waiting for Enter without any text prompting for it,
> bug
> >     966480.
> >

> > So, what you are trying to say is:
> > The installer is installing the system but the very final step, which is
> > reboot, is not working and/or frozen?
> > And, when you reboot manually, you have a working system?
>
> Yes

Okay, thanks for the confirmation :)

> > If that is the case, I must say, I have seen this very behaviour before.
> > I am not sure how many times I have seen it but I guess I did. I did not
> > report that at that time (early stages of Alpha) because I thought it
> > was just me and I got busy with other stuff.
> >

> >     This is only slightly better than the 64-bit version, and it is much
> >     worse that during early Saucy alpha (or pre-alpha) stages, when the
> >     32-bit desktop installer for Lubuntu might work with 384 MB RAM, and
> >     definitely worked with 512 MB RAM.
> >

> > So, do I have to test? downloading is done now :)
>
> I think it would be worthwhile, because it will be with different hardware.

Sure :)

> >     So I think *something bad is happening* when Lubuntu is to be
> switched
> >     off.
> >

> > I smell something too!
> >

> >     Nik Th and I have also noted that shutdown is much slower than it
> >     used to be (also compared to earlier versions of Saucy).
> >

> > You mean when you are on a working desktop and you choose Shutdown form
> > Menu?
>
> Yes, shutdown from an installed system (and also from the live system,
> but it is harder to notice because of slow media).

Here could be the trick. I will try with LiveUSB instead of LiveCD!!!

> >     The One Button Installer can do it with 128 MB RAM. I made a test
> right
> >     now in this same Toshiba, and installed Saucybeta1.
> >
> >     Best regards
> >     Nio
> >

> > Hmm, I don't think something to do with RAM but rather something wrong
> > somewhere in the build. I have no idea what is going on?
> > May I remind you all that Lubuntu Saucy have zram-config by default and
> > it should be even faster or better?!
> >
> > Weird!!!
>
> When enough RAM, it does not freeze, but reboots nicely for me. And this
> did not happen when I did those extensive tests at the alpha or
> pre-alpha stage. Check this link, where it was possible to squeeze it
> and run with really low RAM
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/LowRamTesting

If you remember, I have done these tests with you before ;)
I was unable to add my result to the Wiki Page but my emails should be
somewhere in the Archive. Yes, everything was fine so it seems something
wrong happened and I have no idea what is going on?

Will try with the LiveUSB created by the latest UNetbootin and report back
:)

Best Regards,