Re: Lubuntu 13.10 beta

On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 20:19:50 +0200
Nio Wiklund <nio.wiklund@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2013-09-21 20:10, Lars Noodén wrote:
> > On 09/21/2013 08:59 PM, JM wrote:

> >> have you set it up to create block devices which are as large as 50% of
> >> the available ram, and one of those block devices for each processor detected, or
> >> did you setup other values?
> >>
> >> which method is used to start it at boot time?

> > I've used whatever the default for the recent ISOs has been.  If you
> > have a recipe for how to create the block devices you mention, I can try
> > that in tomorrow's run.
> >
> > Regards,
> > /Lars
> >
> Hi Mélodie,
>
> +1 for me.
>
> I have also used whatever the default setting for zRAM has been in Lubuntu.
>
> Best regards
> Nio

Hi,

I do have a "recipe", what I don't know is if it will work better in the actual state of
the Lubuntu beta.

Here is the recipe:
* have the block device be not larger than 25% of the available ram (and not 50 as in the
default Ubuntu distribution), and have one block device created for each cpu in a given
machine. (25% is what used to be recommanded by the author of the compcache project from
where zram comes from)

* Else, the priority for zram vs swap partition should be high (I have seen 5, I have seen
up to 100 in some distros, they have all worked in the machines where I used them);

* Else, there should be a setup in a sysctl file which says that the kernel is not allowed
to swap in a wild way.

So far I have applied this "recipe" in spinoffs I did, with kernels older than the one you
are using.

Here are the files I have used in custom versions build on Ubuntu Mini Remix 12.04 (which
leads to Ubuntu Openbox Remixes):
http://meets.free.fr/Downloads/BentoVillageProject/Configurations/System/Zram

(The page displays a README).

I also used a configuration file for the swappiness:
http://meets.free.fr/Downloads/BentoVillageProject/Configurations/System/etc/sysctl.d/50-local.conf

I will be interested to know if by any chance that helps. I would also like to know about
the specs of the machine(s) where the freeze have occurred (Motherboard, CPU, GPU
particularly).

I'll be testing also, next.

If you would have insights about how it is started from boot time please let me know: I
would be interested to know about it, because in (almost) pure Openbox versions I have
always needed to use an addition to rc.local to get it to be started at boot in the Live:

http://meets.free.fr/Downloads/BentoVillageProject/Configurations/System/etc/rc.local.patch

which I am almost sure should not be needed.

Regards,
Mélodie

--

Linuxvillage