Re: Next respin tested 2013-10-17 00:43 (06.43 CEST)

On Thu, 17 Oct 2013 11:05:08 +0200
Jörn Schönyan <joern.schoenyan@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Am 17.10.2013 10:47, schrieb Nio Wiklund:
> > Hi Jörn,
> >
> > Do you mean for really old computers (pre Pentium II), that are not
> > helped by fake-PAE?

> According to Wikipedia, there are Pentium 3 that aren't capable of PAE.
> I am thinking about this machines. But, I am not 100% sure if this is a
> error on Wikipedia.

> > I think fake-PAE is good enough to make the current 32-bit kernels work
> > well with Celeron M and Pentium M CPUs.

> > And there are 12.04 flavours and respins that promise long time support
> > until April 2017, PreciseGnomeClassicTweaks, LXLE and Bodhi plus Xubuntu
> > with LTS until April 2015.

Please add Ubuntu Openbox Remix to this list (Bento Village, built on Ubuntu Mini
Remix) ;-)

> > Best regards
> > Nio

> Yes, there are. But any of this use the "old" 3.2 kernel from Precise,
> if I am correct.
>
> Jörn

Hi,

I have Lubuntu Saucy installed in a T30 since a few days. The machine was sold on the
market in 2000 or 2001. The processor (cat /proc/cpuinfo) shows the pae instruction flag.

One thing which I don't understand is that the kernel actually in use is presented as
"3.11.0.11-generic" : is it a generic one, or is it the new name for all the pae kernels
in Ubuntu ?

As for which machines have "pae but not showing", how do you know which machine does and
which does not? (Apart from consulting Wikipedia?)

For Jörn's question : what about starting a poll on the Ubuntu forums to see if some
people would feel concerned?

Regards,
Mélodie