Re: Vivid desktop amd64 does not boot on MacBook Pro

On 02.02.2015 18:16, Walter Lapchynski wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 7:58 AM, Lars Noodén <lars.nooden@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Is there some parameter I can pass to the kernel via grub to do
>> something useful?  When I edit the boot parameters to take out "splash"
>> and "quiet" I get a little more information and see that it stops right
>> after these lines:
>>  [    7.57234] [drm] radeon kernel modesetting enabled.
>>  [    7.575302] fb: switching to radeondrmfb from EFI VGA
>> So that would help identify which package it should be instead of "linux"?
>
> Not really. I doubt you have a video problem if DVD-RW works fine.
>
>>> 4. What other images do work?
>> Using the DVD RW, all work.  Using the USB stick, none seem to work so
>> far for AMD64.
>
> Sounds like information the bug report could use. Even your
> description needs changing since "Lubuntu vivid desktop amd64 does not
> boot" does not apply to all situations.

Ok

> Have you tried an entirely different USB stick? Have you tried the
> same USB stick in different ports?

Same problems on a different USB stick and the choice of ports does not
matter.  The original stick is the one I always use with the PPC
hardware, and it does work there with those images.

> It's certainly possible this could be a problem with your hardware,
> too.

Perhaps, but I can install and run OS X, Lubuntu (various versions) and
Debian/kFreeBSD all from the DVD drive.  On the USB drive, I can get
past GRUB into part of the kernel it looks like.

> That being said, I further encourage you to reach out and find
> someone with the same hardware.

This looked promising, but the middle option does not match what is
available for vivid:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro8-2/Raring

I'll look around more.

Regards,