Re: Lubuntu 14.10 Printing with an HP 1512 All in One Printer

Michael,

To answer your question, the version of the HPLIP software in the
repositories will always lag behind the latest version from the HPLIP
project themselves, as the (L)ubuntu release cycle needs to be kept
stable, and will not always chase the latest version. Which exact
version of hplip makes it into 15.04 may not yet have been decided.

However, to help you on your specific issue, I have used that exact
model without issues on Lubuntu 14.10 (and earlier versions). I usually
install HPLIP using the version in the (L)unbuntu repositories using a
terminal

### HP Linux Imaging & Printing project (HPLIP) - HP printer & scanner
drivers
# now distributed via repos
sudo apt-get install -y hplip
sudo hp-setup
# help - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HpAllInOne

You can install from the Software Center GUI but you should make sure to
run hp-setup once your printer is plugged into the USB port

If you still have issues, you can download the latest version directly
from their site

    http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/install/install/index.html

however as I say, I have used the same model printer for a number of
years (and therefore older hplip versions) without issue.
I have never used CUPS directly as HPLIP works well and adds scanner
support too.

An alternative forum to get technical assistance with using Lubuntu is
lubuntu-users at

I hope this helps
Art