Re: Documentation for new features in MariaDB

Hi,

Oleksandr "Sanja" Byelkin wrote:
Daniel Bartholomew пишет:
On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 14:44:29 +0300, "Oleksandr \"Sanja\" Byelkin"
<sanja@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Daniel> http://askmonty.org/buildbot/reports/test_markup.php

Daniel> It's simple, but it does let you view the creole => html
Daniel> translation of your markup.
Oleksandr> It do not understand UTF-8 - it is really bad.

It understands UTF-8 now.

I disagree with saying "it is really bad" because it doesn't understand
UTF-8.

Yes, the final system should definitely understand UTF-8, but this
isn't a final system, or even a prototype. It is just a *simple* page
for testing/previewing bits of creole-formatted content, and as such it
works well-enough to get the job done.

Then I can't understand why we should:

1) build a new system
2) With pure printing abilities

instead of picking up something already used for documentation and which
converted to many formats?

I was pretty satisfied with old MySQL system (forgot what it was but it
generate a lot of formats), docbook also looks good enough.

We aren't creating a system for a plain manual, we are creating a knowledge base so the community can help us generate content and ask questions. This KB can be used for our manual as well. If we ever want a more formal manual, we can adopt the content of the KB into docbook, I think that is what MySQL still uses.

I guess I should do a presentation in Majorca about this.

--
Bryan Alsdorf, Lead Web Developer
Monty Program, AB. http://askmonty.org