Re: Documentation for new features in MariaDB

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 10:31 PM, Bryan Alsdorf<bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> We aren't creating a system for a plain manual, we are creating a knowledge
> base so the community can help us generate content and ask questions. This
> KB can be used for our manual as well. If we ever want a more formal manual,
> we can adopt the content of the KB into docbook, I think that is what MySQL
> still uses.

Actually, we will need to end up with something that looks like a
manual. A knowledgebase/wiki co-edited with many community members is
a good way to get there.

But Kristian's original point is an important one too. As we develop
new features into MariaDB, we should document those just as one would
have done for the MySQL manual. This should be part of the development
process. If you don't document them there, they aren't documented
anywhere, and no community member can later document it except for
reading the code itself.

Now that I think about it, maybe this part of the documentation effort
could for the time being be done as a diff against the MySQL manual.
(Which is DocBook?)

> I guess I should do a presentation in Majorca about this.

Very good idea. I could actually give you from 30 to 60 minutes on
Saturday as a scheduled presentation (not unconference).

henrik

--
email: henrik.ingo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
tel:   +358-40-5697354