Re: italian translation

Hi,

On 09/14/2010 11:24 PM, Colin Charles wrote:
Hi!

On 12 Sep 2010, at 07:51, Federico Razzoli wrote:

Hello.

I appreciate so much your new Knowledge Base. The pages that are already on line
are very clear and complete, as the MySQL docs. But, unlike the MySQL docs, the
Knowledge Base has free licenses. For these reasons, I would like to translate
into italian - which is my natural language.

Am I allowed to do that? As far as I understand, both the licenses used (CC
BY-SA and GNU FDL) allow translations, as long as they have the same licenses
used by the original work. But I want to be sure before starting.

I can't translate all the articles, so I'll only translate some of the most
interesting documents. But, as the documentation grows, maybe I may try to set
up a group of volounteers. We'll see.

You are absolutely allowed to do that. You can translate it to Italian with no issue at all

Currently (and I think, by design) it seems that kb.askmonty.org will be in the English language. Bryan (CC'ed in this email) is the right person to help setup an instance for the Italian language (something like it.kb.askmonty.org) if you were planning on making a larger translation project. It would be great if you could harness a group of volunteers

We actually want to setup a structure to support translations inside our KB, I just haven't had the time to design or implement it. My two concerns are how to properly display content in another language and how to keep translated articles up to date when the English version is updated (or vice versa). If you have any ideas, please let me know.

In the meantime however, as you'd like to just translate interesting documents, just go ahead, translate them, and it would rock if you'd point folk to the English version at the askmonty KB

Good luck with your translation work and tell us if you need any help!

Yes please let us know if there is anything we can do to help. I will try to work on supporting other languages soon since people are actually translating articles.

Best Regards,
--
Bryan Alsdorf, Lead Web Developer
Monty Program AB. http://montyprogram.com