Re: The MariaDB Foundation and MariaDB trademark?

Hi Mark,

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 4:18 PM, MARK CALLAGHAN <mdcallag@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What does this claim mean from https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb-foundation? Is it incorrect or is there a difference between the trademarks for MariaDB and the MariaDB server?
> >>>
> The MariaDB Foundation also holds the trademark of the MariaDB server and owns mariadb.org. This ensures that the official MariaDB development tree will always be open for the MariaDB developer community.

There has been a discussion on whether the main MariaDB project,
https://launchpad.net/maria, should be referred to as MariaDB Server
to make it clearer what is being referred to.

> From https://mariadb.org/foundation how are these goals to be achieved given the trademark and documentation ownership (via mariadb.com/kb)? Note the claims about that one company won't control it.
> >>>
> The structure of the MariaDB Foundation underpins everything we do. No one person or company drives priorities, code, or shapes community. The MariaDB Foundation uses technical and legal means to guarantee the technology used by the world's largest database community will continue to be free in every sense.

As mentioned in my previous email the trademark issues are still being
worked on and hopefully we’ll find a solution that satisfies all
parties as good as possible.

> This last one should be easy to fix. The "Purchase Developer Support" link on the front page for mariadb.org ends up at https://www.skysql.com/about/contact. Will others get a link there?

The Developer Support was a Monty Program offering that pointed to a
Monty Program web site. Apparently during the consolidation of the web
sites this has now been redirected to SkySQL. Thanks for pointing out.
I will take this back to the Foundation.

Rasmus