mqtt-users team mailing list archive

Re: License issue concerning Java client provided by IBM

Hi Folks,

I'm one of the IBMers on this list that Oli mentioned <grin>.

Hi Christoph... yes, you're right, the licensing terms for IA92 are that
it is only for use with one of the IBM brokers that supports MQTT.
Sadly the licence was written long before (about 2002, ISTR) there was
any prospect of there being anybody else's MQTT broker, like mosquitto,
and the lawyers wanted that clause in there (can't remember why now, but
it seemed like a good idea at the time - you know how it goes).

For an "official" project, then, you'd have to stick to the letter of
that. Of course, what you do with IA92 "in your own time" is up to you,
but I do understand the problem.
I don't think there's going to be much I can do about that one, sorry :/
The other problem you might have with that licence, is redistribution.
We have a separate licence for "OEM" licensing of the Java code, which
allows redistribution. That one was a consequence of the way our
"SupportPac" release mechanism works.

Sounds like a nice little project for someone - whip up a quick MQTT
client in Java... or a JNI wrapper to @ralight's C client... (probably
only marginaly quicker than writing a pure Java one!).

I was really hoping to have some of the IBM internal client
implementations for MQTT out there for all to use by now, but for
various reasons, it's taking forever :(

In answer to Oli's question - to underline what Christoph said - you
just need wmqtt.jar on the class path with your app, and it will work
fine and connect to mosquitto just as well as  to any of the IBM
brokers.

Regards
Andy