Re: [Ayatana] Unity launcher - will an autohide option be available?

Yes, we certainly don't want to use a naive edge proximity criterion to determine when to show the Launcher once auto-hiding is available. You go to place your cursor on a portion of a web page near the side of your screen and BAM the Launcher is in your way!

I like this GNOME suggestion of using momentum, we are already using similarly nuanced concepts to determine the locus of unfolding before the cursor intersects the folded Launcher so that the target entry remains under the cursor even as the Launcher unfolds.

David

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 4:51 PM, Conscious User <conscioususer@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I agree with the auto-hide to save screen space, but having it
> reappear on proximity would be a pain - it shares space with most web
> pages navigation bar, so it would often get in the middle of browsing.
>
> A better option for a hidden bar is the one supported by Firefox
> Mobile ("Fennec"). The button bar is placed just outside the visible
> screen, and it is shown by dragging the screen to the right. This
> could be implemented in Unity with a finger gesture in multi-touch
> screens, or by dragging the panel in mouse or single-touch interfaces.

There is another option, which seems to be getting popularity with
upstream Gnome in the moment: momentum-based autohide. Basically,
detecting if the mouse was "thrown" or simply "touched" the edged
based on its acceleration.