Re: [Ayatana] "fileless" paradigm

On Fri, 2010-12-17 at 13:51 +0000, femorandeira wrote:
> Search is usually
>  *only* used as a last resource tool when the user can not remember at
>  all where he put that document...

I don't agree this.
This is probably true for power-users, or at least people used to the
hierarchical filesystem we daily manage and with deep dependency on it,
but not for entry-level users.

Those days I teach in a "basic informatics" course for people with no or
very little know of computers, some old person and many immigrates
trying to integrate with italian environment.
The oldest and slowest-learning of them still lose his own files in his
own computer, because he do not remembers assigned filenames and
randomly creates empty folders by error, but in the lesson dedicated to
"the Internet" he managed to search and find the website of his native
village in half an hour given the only notion "write here (e.g. Google)
what you are looking for, press Enter and click the links".

Hierarchical filesystem requires many more notions to learn.
Differences between folder, data file and executable file; different
visual rappresentations in the file manager, the desktop, and in "Save
as" dialogs; system folders to avoid; filenames and paths; mounted
devices; and much more.

--
Roberto -MadBob- Guido
http://claimid.com/madbob