Re: Fwd: question about utouch-gesturetest

The utouch-gesturetest program uses the XCB-gesture protocol directly to
communicate with a gesture recognizer built in to the x.org server.  We
have not documented the XCB-gesture protocol because it was considered a
stopgap measure to help bootstrap our uTouch stack and we do not really
intend to support it going forward.

If you want to be able to follow our gesture development work (and we
want you to), I would recommend instead using the GEIS API.  It delivers
exactly the same information as the utouch-gesturetest program displays,
but both follows our ongoing development (because it is an integral
part of the utouch stack) and we promise to support it going forward
regardless of how we change the rest of the stack.

You can find an implementation of the GEIS API in the utouch-geis
project (https://launchpad.net/utouch-geis).  Version 1 of the API is
currently available in Ubuntu 10.10 and later, and version 2
(http://people.canonical.com/~stephenwebb/geis-v2/) is currently under
development.  The source for the project contains an example similar to
gesturetest called geistest that gives an example of use.

--
Stephen M. Webb <stephen.webb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Canonical Ltd.