mysql-proxy-discuss team mailing list archive

Re: Repository for Lua scripts - looking for ideas

Hi!

On Mar 16, 2009, at 8:31 PM, Diego Medina wrote:

So, who's volunteering to do the initial setup of the repo?

Well, I have this one script (already split  into 4 modules), so I
could do the initial setup.

great!

3) Optionally create a mailing list, though we could simply use this one
since the overlap between them would probably be very high

I guess we leave this one for the future until we see a higher volume?

Yes. For now, let's keep discussion on this list, since I bet it's the same set of people that are interested. Plus, if you want to write scripts, you'll better track the changes we do ;) Come to think of it: We could probably use some simple version number checking module for the scripts, as we move forward. (Not now, but that's something nicely self-contained for someone to take a stab at.)

We should probably think a bit about legal stuff, e.g. what licenses do we
accept for the scripts etc.
I'd propose to stick to GPLv2 and compatible licenses, to make our lives
easier (and to be in line with MySQL Proxy itself).

Sounds good to me, one question, would it mean that community members
would not have to sign the Sun ... what was the name... CLA ? in order
to contribute scripts?

It's called SCA, Sun Contributor Agreement, CLA was something else I think ;)

We won't require a signature for merely making scripts available, that's the beauty of keeping those two project separate. However, I can easily see some more generic API involving from a collection of scripts, since it will become painfully obvious what parts are being duplicated over and over again. Those parts should be moved into the main proxy distribution once we are happy with them (this is pre-1.0, btw). In order to make that happen we will need SCA signatures from all the parties that contributed to those parts, but let's worry about that once we get there :) I want the barrier for involvement to be as low as possible, i.e. all you need is a Launchpad account.

Thanks for asking!

cheers,
-k

--
Kay Roepke
Software Engineer, MySQL Enterprise Tools

Sun Microsystems GmbH    Sonnenallee 1, DE-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Thomas Schroeder, Wolfang Engels, Dr. Roland Boemer
Vorsitz d. Aufs.rat.: Martin Haering                    HRB MUC 161028