Re: Google Trends

On 01/09/2012 01:55 PM, Dominique Chabord wrote:
>> On 01/07/2012 11:43 AM, Dominique Chabord wrote:
>>> Google trends provides completely absurd results most of the time.

Or perhaps you're misinterpreting them?

> They are just not credible, imho.
> Compare values for Morocco and Tunisia vs France. They hit common sens.

The data is normalized, otherwise this would simply be a list of the
biggest countries (and cities) in the world.

You might really want to read the FAQ, for example questions #9 and #14:
  http://www.google.com/intl/en/trends/about.html#9
  http://www.google.com/intl/en/trends/about.html#14

Having a country or city in the top results means that *relatively* to
all other queries in that area, the search term is more frequent than in
other countries/cities.

> As an example, number of visits to sisalp.fr grows by more than
> 100%/year over two last years, so I'm convinced the growth of requests
> on openerp is far more than 100%/year because of new geographies
> recently covered and brand notoriety expansion

Again, we're talking normalized search volume trends, not raw search
traffic nor raw hits on some specific website.

Likewise, 100% growth doesn't mean much on its own. The OpenERP website
gets thousands of unique visitors per day, worldwide. France, despite
being the largest contribution in 2011, only represents 8% of that.
Hence doubling the number of French visitors would only represent an
increase of 4% of the total visits we get.

> It's always better to have good metrics rather than bad ones, for sure.
> Results from openerp.com logs which count clicks from google search
> provide you with far more accurate data, and I'm convinced, far more
> optimistic figures.

Our own web statistics do show similar *relative* values, so the
estimations of Google Trends are relevant enough for us.